Film Coating For Pediatric Oral Solid Dosage FormsSource: Colorcon
From a recent survey conducted within the pharmaceutical industry, by Colorcon, it was confirmed that oral solid dosage forms are a preferred choice for formulation of pediatric medicines.
With careful selection, of an appropriate film coating system, pediatric products may be coated with a suitable color while also providing mechanical integrity, gloss and moisture protection to produce a robust tablet that is effective and easily recognized by consumers and dispensers.
Film coating these dosage forms also brings further advantages, including
- masking objectionable tastes or odors
- improving swallowability
- helping to positively impact patient preference
- differentiating the visual appearance of product to mitigate dispensing errors
- improving packaging efficiency
- prevention of cross contamination
- reduced tablet breakage and chipping during manufacture