This course teaches the process principles of the functional operation of the ZSK twin screw compounder in pharmaceutical hot melt extrusion. We deal with the special fields of application in detail and present the latest Coperion developments. You also receive information about the scale-up process, troubleshooting and interlocks.
Coperion is pioneer in the development of high-end closely intermeshing, co-rotating twin screw extruders. We possess a unique know-how and an extraordinary wealth of experience in this continuous production process. Since the beginning of pharmaceutical extrusion we have continuously set new standards in the continuous manufacturing of pharmaceutical products with our special ZSK pharma extruders. This begins with special applications on a laboratory scale and extends right through to continuous pharmaceutical production systems.
Typical areas of application of Coperion's Pharma Extruders:
- Pharmaceutical Hot Melt Extrusion
- Solvent-free production of solid dispersions or solids solutions of APIs ( also BCS class 2 & 4), thus enhancing their bioavailability
- Hot Melt extrudates as basis for solid dosage forms with controlled / sustained release of APIs
- Degassing of water to counteract API re-crystallization
- Encapsulation and taste masking
- Wet Extrusion of APIs as basis for granules for capsule filling
- Extrusion of adhesives with APIs for transdermal plasters
- Extrusion of adhesives for medical applications such as stoma
- Extrusion of compounds for implants/biodegradable implants or contraceptive rings
- Extrusion of medical plastics (wound plasters/butterfly closures)